Now, I’ve been wanting to become a published writer since I first learnt how to read, and after some time speculating over what I’m enough of an expert on to write about, a few false starts and bucket-loads of “I’ll-start-first-thing- tomorrows”, Absolutely Godgeous was born.
As my debut post, I can remember telling myself that whatever I decide to type onto this page needs to be epic… It needs to blow your mind at first glance and absolutely change your life! It should make you want to follow me through groundbreaking articles that will make you shed tears on account of how breath-takingly beautiful my sentence structure and grammar is and stick with me through dry spells when I might as well have left a sign written “Lindi’s mind gone fishing”. But in reality, I can edit this a thousand times before its posted and still not have you at hello. So I would at least like to have you at hey, haven’t I seen you somewhere?
In this day and age, there’s a lot of pressure to dazzle the world with clever gimmicks and catch phrases. With the biggest names in fashion and clip-on weaves, eye-lashes and toenails. With every girl trying so hard to look like a clone who just walked out of Mattel inc (the Barbie company), it makes me wonder where we all even got the absurd notion that men are pacing the aisles of Toys”R”Us desperately praying that Barbie would come alive and live happily ever after with them. Or are they?
From a Christian perspective, the legendary Proverbs 31 woman aka “the wife of noble character” sounds like a stark contrast to Miss Barbara “Barbie” Millicent Roberts (yes, she has a full name and last name!), but that in itself is still a tall order by anyone’s standards.
Proverbs 31:1 in the Amplifed Bible states “A capable, intelligent, and virtuous woman–who is he who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.”
So its not just about having the latest look and matching accessories, can you imagine a world where young women looked up to women who were capable, intelligent and virtuous and young men were fully prepared to celebrate that?
If you take a look at what embodying the persona of this woman entails, you’ll find that she is:
1. Faithful and trustworthy – (Proverbs 31: 11).
2. She comforts and encourages people- (Proverbs 31-12).
3. She is highly skilled and no stranger to hard work – (Proverbs 31:13-15).
4. She plans ahead, saves and is successful – (Proverbs 31:16).
5. She is strong spiritually, mentally and physically – (Proverbs 31:17).
6. She never lacks faith in times of trial and tribulation – (Proverbs 31:18).
7. She is giving and reaches out to the less fortunate – (Proverbs 31:20).
8. Her clothing is of linen, pure and fine and of purple; Meaning she dresses for success and looks the part – (Proverbs 31:21-22).
9. She is enterprising and can run her own business with confidence and competence- (Proverbs 31:25).
10. She speaks with wisdom and kindness – (Proverbs 31:26).
11. She is not idle/lazy, discontent and filled with self-pity – (Proverbs 31:17).
Proverbs 31:30 clearly sums it up by saying “Grace and charm are deceptive, and beauty is vain (because it is not lasting), but a woman who reverently and worshipfully fears the Lord, she shall be praised!”
So its all good and dandy to be drop dead gorgeous. To have the long flowing hair, flawless skin, an hourglass figure and legs for days… And days…. But that’s the easy part. Today, if you make enough money, you could buy all that. However it’s character that can’t be faked, bought, stuck on, painted on, tattooed on, sewed on, clipped on or stuffed into your bra.
So my question is, do you know of any absolutely Godgeous Proverbs 31 women in this day and age who still keep it real or should we all just invest in a good weave and squeeze into that elusive size zero and call it a day?